Saturday, April 5, 2008

More waiting

Today is day 57 since we got our NOA 1 (notice of receipt by the USCIS). There was (according to visajourney.com) a big burst of approvals about a month after our filing time and out of 21 people with similar profiles to us (filing at Vermont, UK citizens, filing around the same time as us), 15 have been approved. Only one has an interview date.

Nothing has changed in about two weeks, as far as I can tell. This is very disappointing, since it looked like everything was going so quickly, and I'm really REALLY hoping that we'll hear something soon. Meanwhile I'm beginning to be nervous about the other parts of the process, but I guess that's a pointless worry until we hear something either way from the Vermont Service Center.

Our fantastic visit last week, though, did help. I just hope that we have an approval before we have to schedule another visit! I'd rather save up that money and use it for better things, like an apartment or wedding or honeymoon.

On the wedding front: we're discussing possible venues and talking about whether to have the big event in Evansville or Boston. Cost and familiarity would suggest Evansville would be the best choice, but Boston is where we've had a shared life. But vital members of my family may not be able to travel to Boston... so many things to think about.

2 comments:

G.C. McDowell said...

First let me thank you for documenting your I-129 F process - this has been one of the most helpful resources I have found. Much better than sifting through forums.

I'm wondering if you have any information on the following situation: I am from the USA. My fiancee (from Poland) obtained a 10 year vistor's visa before we met. She used her visa to visit the US in July, and while she was here we were engaged. We immediately began the I-129F process and now our petition has been filed.

My question is, if she tries to use her 10 year visa to visit the US (not to get married, but to visit) while the I-129F is pending, could she be refused entry into the US or could the I-129F be compromised?

On one hand I would like to think that with a pre-existing 10 year visa she should be allowed passage to the US as she wishes. But I am concerned that there may be unexpected complications.

We're in the process of determining how to get an official answer to the question, but I was wondering if you had any experience with this kind of issue.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

G.C. McDowell said...

Update: After calling Immigration and being directed to Customs we were told that with a pre-existing visa there is so problem entering the country for a visit. But of course I would encourage anyone in a similar situation to check with the appropriate agencies to learn the current rules.